Sunday, September 5, 2010

A little piece of quiet

After 7 weeks of exclusive parenting, I fully admit to being exhausted and in need of some alone time. A lot of those seven weeks was spent traveling. MrC, le Petite and I have been on a whirlwind tour these past several months, only stopping at home to split cells or pick up a car rental. The last 3 weeks have been particularly challenging, since I have kept le Petite home from school in an effort to potty-train him. (It was effective, by the way. No more diapers!)

On top of all of this, we have another family - a couple and their toddler - staying with us.

Suffice it to say, the noise level in my life these several weeks has been on the unbearable side.

Today, MrC and le Petite left for the long weekend for NYC. They are going to visit some MoHo friends - turns out that there is finally a quorum of MoHos on the East Coast and we have some party action starting. I opted to stay home to get the work done that I have been neglecting these several weeks. Our house guests are out for the weekend as well, and all is at rest in our home.

I love it, but it is so... strange! After 2 months of around-the-clock noise and activity, having it be quite and still in my bedroom at 10 pm is a little surreal.

Perhaps tonight I will crawl out onto my roof and listen to the cars pass by on the highway, while I lie staring at the juniper that overshadows our home. I will listen as the fireworks light up the sky in the city, hidden from me by layers of row homes and deciduous trees. I will feel the motion of the cool September air across my cheeks, a reminder of autumn to come and of the hurricane that ushered Her in. I will smell hints of charcoal in the air, and listen as the alley cats fight and tangle in heat.

But for now I will marvel that life persists, even when my home is empty.

2 comments:

Ned said...

Wonderful imagery. Thanks for letting us see what you imagined.

Kiley said...

Beautiful post. I live for quiet moments just like the one you described. That same hurricane pushed a whole bunch of cold air my way...