Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Potato Soup

As part of preparing for the 3-Day walk in October, one of my goals is to fuel my body with healthier foods. What that means is aiming to eat lean meats, legumes, fruits, and vegetables for all meals, reserving grains (whole grains, like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.) for one meal a day.

As I was boiling some chicken for lunch for the week, when I realized that I needed a recipe for the left over chicken stock. I made up this soup with what we had in our fridge, and it turned out very yummy. The small amount of sour cream adds just enough fat and cream to make the soup taste creamy and savory. Typically I use milk, but since we were out I substituted the sour cream and found that the flavor was absolutely enhanced by it.

1.5 bags potatoes (about 7 lbs.), cut into cubes
About 4 qt. chicken stock
1.5 lb cooked lean ham
1/2 bag of carrots, chopped
Celery, chopped
1 c onion, cut small
2-3 cloves garlic
5 bouillon cubes
2-3 heaping dollops of sour cream
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Combine stock, bay leaves, bouillon, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in a large slow cooker. Cook on low until the potatoes are soft (about 4 h). Add ham and continue to cook on low for 4-5 h. Add sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.

3 comments:

Donna Banta said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Emily said...

That looks amazing! :)

Madame Curie said...

It was really good - we'll be making it again tomorrow, since I have to boil some more chicken stock!